- How do Phoenix and Annalynn feel when they go to stand guard at the farmhouse? How do they each react to the shootout later? What would your reactions be in a similar situation?
- Why does the FBI suspect Phoenix and Annalynn took the gold coins? How do the agents’ suspicion and Phoenix’s dislike of the FBI affect the way both investigate?
- What does Phoenix’s response to Mrs. T’s situation reveal about Phoenix? How great is the threat to the elderly woman? What would you do if Mrs. T. was your neighbor?
- Is Annalynn right to push Phoenix to meet with her ex-husband, or does Annalynn’s interference cross the line?
- What do you see as his motives for coming to Laycock?
- Is Phoenix being smart or foolish to go slowly in her romance with Stuart? What does she stand to gain and to lose?
- How does the past overlap with the present in the various families’ private lives and in the investigation?